"TO THE TWELVE TRIBES WHICH ARE SCATTERED ABROAD, GREETING"

James 1:1 (Yaakov 1:1)

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Tying The Tzitzi!

As I write this I am in the mist of tying a new set of Tzitzi. Many of you know what I am talking about.

Numbers 15:38 and 39. “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘Throughout the generations to come you are to make tassels on the corners of your garments, with a blue cord on each tassel.You will have these tassels to look at and so you will remember all the commands of Yahweh, that you may obey them and not prostitute yourselves by going after the lusts of your own hearts and eyes."

The blue cord in the tzitzi is also know as a representative of Messiah Yeshua. He is that which give the rest of the Tzitzi value and sets it apart. Much like when Yeshua went into the garden to pray. He took with him three, Peter, James, and John. The same way we add three white threads to the group. As I was pulling the three white ones from the twelve. (Like the twelve disciples); the blue one touched the ground. I inadvertently stepped on it.

My mind raced into the story of how Yeshua was bruise for us and killed. But then he rose again.

I picked up the Blue one and put it with the other three to be tied. Once the first two knots are tied, then comes the separating of the blue from the rest. I didn't have the blue thread up enough and had to a just it, much in the way I had to adjust my understanding of who Messiah Yeshua was. Now I am ready to separate the blue from the rest.

Whatever style you tie you Tzitzi doesn't matter. Torah just says to do it. I prefer to do it in Y H V H, which comes out to 10, 5, 6, 5.

As I do the knots the color from the blue thread gets on my hands. I think of Messiah's blood that is my fault as much as any man or woman born, that caused him to have to die. His blood that washes me a new, then remission of sin happens. His blood that cleanses my guilt and then heals me!

The Tzitzi also reminds me of a Cat of Nine tales (a whip), that Yeshua took for my healing, his blood also poured out then. By his strips I am healed.

"But he [was] wounded for our transgressions, [he was] bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace [was] upon him; and with his stripes we are healed." Isaiah 53:5

"Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes you were healed." I Peter 2:24

As I constantly check to make sure the ties are done right, I am reminded of accountability. "Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." James 5:16 This isn't talking about saying how bad you are, so much as sharing things that you are week in. We have to be honest in what we are. "And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for you: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Mesisha may rest upon me." 2 Corinthians 12:9

"Be you not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?" 2 Corinthians 6:14 From this we see that we are doing this if we don't fellowship with one another; because we will fellowship with someone. The other treads be come Tzadik (righteous) when they are put with the T'khayleht (blue). They are tied and made into something that will help me remember the covenant and do Right.

As I do the blue ties by themselves I will at time have the blue over lap and I have to fix it to be able to tell it from the others. This is again much like I must be sure and check to make my understanding of Messiah Yeshua is correct.

John 1:1-4 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with Elohim, and the Word was Elohim.The same was in the beginning with Elohim. All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made. In him was life; and the life was the light of men."

Messiah is the word; The Torah and that is why he couldn't change Torah in anyway!

I am not on the second one in a the set of 4. Like the four corners of the compass, The way we wave the Lulav in 4 direction, then we do it above and below. We acknowledge he is supreme in all directions. The same way Yahweh will call all of Israel from the 4 corners of the earth.

Who knows what wearing your Tzitzi will do, in the physical world and the spiritual world. It might the very thing that reaches someone's soul and into their spirit. It is the same as when we blow the shofar and then declare all of Israel to repent and return to observance. There are spiritual ramifications to all we do.


I am now tying the last one, and as I put each one on my garment, I say the blessing!

It is always a struggle to get all 4 tied, but then again so is growth hard to come by. Still it does work into you and changes you and the is beauty from pain. As Yeshua's broken body did a beautiful work. There is joy in seeing them finished, much a mother during labor, seeing the new baby lessen the pain that happen to birth forth the child!

I tie my own because that is part of the journey in Torah for me!

Yah's Blessing and Shalom!
James E. Auel

5 comments:

  1. So that's why you tie your own....I tie them for the boys because I understand the directions better than they. I also enjoy making them for the boys. Unfortunately, I still have to concentrate so much on what I'm doing that I don't have the luxury of thinking of other things....although I do attempt the prayers as I'm doing the tying. Sigh. Papa understands the desire of my heart....even if tying the tzitzit is still kinda new to me. Loved reading your thoughts as you tied. Perhaps one day I'll be able to do that too. Shalom, Spitfire

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spirfire,

    It took me about two or more hours, granted it doesn't take me that long normally. But I was working on other things and I wanted to express what was going through my mind while I tied the TziTzi.

    You will get your own experiences in everything you do as you do it more. I didn't get the same things out it tying my Tzitzi I do now as I did then. As we grow so does the depth of the essences of things.

    Yah's Blessings and Shalom,
    James E. Auel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Despite the fact that my tzitzityot are in the style of 'Ruti'.. aka - no knots... I still don't have any room left in my head for other thoughts! Except perhaps - how pretty they look :0D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahavah,
    I am not familiar with that style. Is there some place on line where I can see it.

    Yah's Blessings and Shalom,
    James E. Auel

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am doing research on Numbers 15:38-39. I am curious about the significance of the tassles or Tzitzi. I am not Jewish, but am a follower of Christ and want to learn all that I can. I realize that as a Gentile, I miss deeper understanding of many things because I do not understand Jewish culture, customs, and history. The more I learn, the more amazed I am at what a mighty God we serve. I know that the Tzitzi is worn on the tallit, but in the time that the Torah was given, was it a tallit that had the Tzitzi or was it an everyday garment? Also I am curious about your take on the story of David and Saul when David cut off the corner of Saul's robe. What does Jewish tradition say about this? Was it the Tzitzi that David removed? Also, what is your understanding of the passage in Ruth when she lies at Boaz's feet at the threshing floor and told him to spread the corner of his garment over her. Did this have significance in relation to Tzitzi? Another webpage I visited said that the women with the issue of blood in Matthew, Mark, and Luke actually touched the Tzitzi on Jesus' garment and that when the sick were brought to the marketplace to touch the garment of Jesus for healing, they were actually touching the Tzitzi. And one last question, what is your take on Malachi 4:2. One resource I encountered said that the word wings could be interpreted as fringes or tassels or even corners. How do you view these things. If you would be willing to share your thoughts on these topics, it would be greatly appreciated. You can email me at rahlisha@sbcglobal.net or extramilegirl@hotmail.com.

    ReplyDelete